The Computational Geosystem Group has an opening for a motivated PhD student working on using machine learning and computational method to solve geospatial/geotechnical problems.
The prospective PhD student will work closely with Dr. Zhu to explore topics in the intersection of computer science, geotechnical engineering, and geosciences. This would be an ideal position for someone is 1) experience in open-source project in the use of remote sensing data to support geologic/geotechnical research at a level appropriate for journal publication or 2) experience in numerical modeling such as CFD and/or DEM for the study of fundamental geomechanics.
If none of these areas make sense to you but you have past experience in Mathematics, Statistics, Computational Engineering, or Data Science, you are also encouraged to apply with the statement of research interest.
Anticipated start date: Fall 2022 or Spring 2023.
- A master degree in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, or closely related fields
- Strong English oral and written communication skills
- Coding experience (C/C++ or Python) and strong quantitative skills
- Experience in using high-performance computing
- Experience in using probabilistic methods
- Experience in remote sensing and spatio-temporal analysis
- Experience in Geo-risk assessment and management
Send the following information to Dr. Zhu (email@example.com), with the title "Prospective PhD student – ML position":
- A brief summary of research interest and relevant experience